Winthrop House, Boston 1852
From the Boston Transcript, April 4, 1864:
"Last night, about 12 o'clock, fire was discovered in a closet under the second flight of stairs in the Masonic Fraternity's Building on the corner of Tremont and Boylston streets. The building was a mammoth brick structure, composed of six stories, three of which were occupied as the Winthrop House, and the upper three as Freemason Halls.
The Winthrop House was first opened as a hotel by Col. SILSBY, in November, 1850, and comprised two large dwelling-houses, to which a third was subsequently added. It was then owned by the Winthrop House Company, who sold it to the Freemasons in 1859, as we have previously stated. In the Spring of 1859 the hotel was closed up, and the furniture sold at auction; but in the Fall of the same year it was again reopened by Col. SILSBY, who has ever conducted it as a first-class public house, the destruction of which must be regarded as a great loss to the community."
This menu is from a banquet held at Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club on January 12, 1852. The club was created in 1795 by Harvard students and was named after the traditional dish that the founding members ate at their first meeting. Thereafter, the next two members whose names were listed alphabetically on the Hasty Pudding Club's membership roster, were tasked with providing the dish at the next meeting. Five U.S. president have been members and the club is now the only co-ed social club at Harvard.
Courtesy Henry Voigt Collection
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the interior menu where available.
We make our prints with archival-quality 100% cotton fine art paper, using Canon Lucia Pro pigment inks. Properly framed or stored, our prints will last 70+ years without fading or discolouring.
All our prints up to A2 size are made in-house in the UK. For larger prints, we work with the best commercial giclée printers in the UK.