The Trocadero Grill Room in opened in 1896 as a less expensive option than dining at the Ritz or Savoy hotels. Diners entered from Shaftesbury Avenue, ascending a grand marble staircase, and were led into a vast grill-room. A full orchestra played in the background as white-jacketed waiters scurried back and forth between tables, watched over by a superintendent.
The great English humourist P.G. Wodehouse was a regular customer – he dined there at least once a week. Indian curries "cooked by a native chef" were on the menu three times a week.
The Trocadero, owned by Joseph Lyons and Co, was one of the first restaurants to introduce a fixed price meal – the table d’hote for two shillings and sixpence. It meant gentlemen in a rush could eat quickly before going off to business meetings or to the theatre, and it proved very popular.
Courtesy Private Collection
Love Menu Art archival prints on 190 gsm Fine Art Media Soft Textured Paper.
Each print is accompanied by a copy of the menu interior.